Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Cupcake Topiary

Here it is, the cupcake project I've been dying to get my little frosting covered fingers on. (Okay...that sounds gross. Don't worry, I really am sanitary). I saw this in a magazine a while ago and have been dying to make it ever since. Pardon me for bragging, but I think this turned out so stinking cute!
I glued a cute ribbon on the trim of the clay pot, stuffed a Styrofoam ball in it, then used a glue gun to attach some of that mossy-grass stuff. I then stuck toothpicks in the ball (2 per cupcake) and slid the cupcakes onto them, before decorating them. I chose to make buttercream hydrangea flowers and created a pink and a red frosting that were just slightly different in value which really gave the flowers depth & helped make them look realistic (It also gave them a hint of shimmer, bonus!)
Here's the finished project. I also used that yummy Amaretto flavoring for the frosting again, but this time choose to do a yellow cake as the chocolate from my last cupcake extravaganza may have been a bit too rich with the frosting.

1 comment: