Friday, May 29, 2009

Our Roller Blading Revival

Brad & I have been talking for a while now about buying some roller blades, because we loved to roller blade so much as kids and tonight we finally made the trip to Sport Authority and carried out our long lived dream (okay, maybe long lived if you consider that to be a few months....but hey, it sounded more touching that way). Afterward we headed over to the church parking lot next door where we could skate around and reacquaint ourselves with our childhood past time in the back lot without too many people being able to see us and our handicapped moves.

Let me just say, I have no idea how I ever used to do it. I remember spending hours at classic skating, or even out on the streets with my friends, just rollin' around with no fear of falling, and not many falls to recall in general. But today, I was pretty nervous about rollerblading. Brad was a little timid at first too, but warmed up pretty quickly and was roller blading circles around me and the church parking lot in almost no time. I refused to leave the back lot due to the fact that people would be able to see me more visibly, and because I couldn't force myself to use the brakes on the blades. I was hesitant to because it puts me just a little bit off balance and requires me to lift one foot 1/4 inch off the ground in order to do so. I know, pretty terrifying right?

Everynow and then I would find myself getting brave and picking up speed to maybe 0.5mph, and would quickly slow myself down as it would throw my balance off. Brad on the other hand was having a blast, but was getting a little brave himself when it came to speed. About the time his arms would raise over his head and started flapping like a bird in order to balance himself, I'd find myself saying "you're getting a little brave there....might wanna slow it down a notch". That must be the motherly side of me. Anyways, I don't have any pics of us on our blades yet, which for our sake and pride is probably a good thing. But here are some pics I found online of our new found toys.


my blades

3 comments:

Clayton & Kim said...

I just want you to know how grateful I am that you work for a medical facility... enough said...

nateandjenny said...

Oh my gosh rollewr blading sounds so much fun! I used to do it when I was younger too and every time I see someone with roller blades on I want to do it again. That's awesome that you guys got some! SOOOOO fun!

Anonymous said...

i remember when we used to blade in front of our houses, and race! it was a lot of fun! i haven't been roller blading in years, i would probably be pretty scared too!